Skip to content

New York Law Held To Apply in Windsor Wildcats Bus Crash Ruling on Appeal

In a landmark decision, the New York Court of Appeals has decided to apply New York law in determining the damages attributed to Joseph French, J&J Hauling and Verdelli Farms, Inc., the owners and operators of the tractor-trailer from Pennsylvania involved in the catastrophic 2005 Windsor Wildcats bus accident. This is a significant victory, overturning […]

June 30, 2011

In a landmark decision, the New York Court of Appeals has decided to apply New York law in determining the damages attributed to Joseph French, J&J Hauling and Verdelli Farms, Inc., the owners and operators of the tractor-trailer from Pennsylvania involved in the catastrophic 2005 Windsor Wildcats bus accident. This is a significant victory, overturning previous rulings that had capped the plaintiffs’ non-economic damages at $326,000 as against both the bus defendants and tractor-trailer defendants in accordance with Canadian law. The Court of Appeals briefing and oral argument was ably handled by Seeger Weiss Counsel TerriAnne Benedetto. Benedetto commented: “It’s been a long appellate road, but we were ultimately able to convince the highest court in New York that Canadian law should not be applied to limit the damages to be paid by the tractor trailer defendants at the expense of these innocent bus passengers, where these defendants were operating their business regularly in New York.”

The choice of law issue was a critical one in the case, largely because the value of the vast majority of the victims’ claims far exceeds the Canadian cap on damages, as explained by Seeger Weiss Partners Marc Albert and Moshe Horn. Albert and Horn tried the first case in connection with the Wildcats bus accident in March, 2010 on behalf of three victims of the accident. After a week-long trial, the Livingston County jury awarded a $2.25 million verdict, all of which was allocated to past and future pain and suffering. Under the prior Court ruling and the application of the Canadian cap, the amounts awarded would have been reduced by the Court to $326,000 per plaintiff. With 17 cases remaining to be tried, many of which involve injuries of a catastrophic nature or death, the Court of Appeals decision is certain to have a profound effect on the future of the litigation, allowing the injured plaintiffs to recover the full measure of their damages rather than an arbitrary and unjust capped amount.

The Wildcats accident occurred when a bus carrying members of a Windsor, Ontario, girls’ hockey team collided with an illegally parked 70 foot tractor-trailer in Geneseo, N.Y., causing multiple fatalities and life changing injuries. Plaintiffs’ counsel maintained that the sleep-deprived bus driver was negligently trained and supervised by defendant bus company Coach Canada. As a result of parties’ stipulation of liability, Coach Canada assumed legal responsibility for 90% of the accident, with the tractor-trailer defendants, including J&J Hauling Inc., taking responsibility for the remaining 10%.

Related News

December 1, 2022
Seeger Weiss now accepting applicants for 2023 Diversity Fellowship

Seeger Weiss LLP announced today that the application period for the firm’s 2023 Diversity Fellowship is now open. Seeger Weiss is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable workplace where team members from all backgrounds can thrive and grow. We believe that diversity makes workplaces, institutions, and our world stronger, smarter, more resilient, and more just. […]

Read More
November 11, 2022
Chris Seeger appointed co-lead counsel in In Re: Social Media Adolescent Addiction/Personal Injury Products Liability Litigation

Seeger Weiss is proud to announce founder Chris Seeger has been appointed to serve as co-lead counsel in the In Re: Social Media Adolescent Addiction/Personal Injury Products Liability Litigation by the honorable Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers. Seeger was one of three lawyers selected to lead the multidistrict litigation pending in the Northern District of California, […]

Read More
November 4, 2022
Seeger Weiss founding partner Chris Seeger helps negotiate $10 billion agreements with Walgreens and CVS in National Prescription Opiate Litigation

Seeger Weiss founding partner Chris Seeger along with partner Jennifer Scullion helped lead the National Prescription Opiate Litigation team in negotiations with Walgreens and CVS that culminated in over $10 billion in settlement agreements to help communities across the country ravaged by the opioid epidemic. In addition to Seeger and Scullion, negotiations were led by […]

Read More