Skip to content

Update: Windsor Wildcats Bus Crash Ruling to Be Appealed to NY’s Highest Court

The issue as to whether victims of New York’s catastrophic 2005 Windsor Wildcats bus crash should have their damages capped at $326,000 in accordance with Canadian law is now making its way to New York state’s highest court.  On July 2, Seeger Weiss LLP, the law firm representing 11 of the accident’s victims, was granted permission […]

July 2, 2010

The issue as to whether victims of New York’s catastrophic 2005 Windsor Wildcats bus crash should have their damages capped at $326,000 in accordance with Canadian law is now making its way to New York state’s highest court.  On July 2, Seeger Weiss LLP, the law firm representing 11 of the accident’s victims, was granted permission by the N.Y. Appellate Division, 4th Department, to appeal the choice-of-law issue to the N.Y. Court of Appeals.  The issue is a critical one because the value of the vast majority of the victims’ claims far exceeds the Canadian cap on damages, note Seeger Weiss attorneys Marc Albert and Moshe Horn.

Messrs. Albert and Horn point to the first trial in connection with the crash that concluded this past March, in which they obtained a $2.25 million verdict from a Livingston County jury on behalf of three victims whose injuries were considered to be on the low end of the spectrum of injuries arising from the accident. The attorneys note that application of the Canadian cap both to this verdict and the remaining victims’ claims –  which include four cases that resulted in death – would have a crippling effect on the compensation ultimately awarded, and produce what plaintiff’s counsel believes would be an extremely unjust result.

“We firmly believe that New York law – not Canadian – applies here,” said Mr. Albert. “Not only did the accident take place in New York, but it involved commercial vehicles owned by defendant companies who were regularly using New York roadways for profit.”

“Application of a $326,000 Canadian cap to victims with injuries ranging from crippling orthopedic injuries to brain damage and death is incomprehensible,” said Mr. Horn. “This is especially so, given that the Court has already determined that New York law and un-capped damages will be applied to the claims of the truck driver, who has been held to be partially at fault for the accident.  We’re very pleased that the Appellate Division has allowed us to appeal this issue to the Court of Appeals.”

The Wildcats accident occurred when a bus carrying members of a Windsor, Ontario, girls’ hockey team collided with an illegally parked tractor-trailer in Geneseo, N.Y., causing multiple fatalities and severe injuries. Plaintiffs’ counsel maintained that the sleep-deprived bus driver was negligently trained and supervised by defendant bus company Coach Canada. As a result of parties’ stipulation of liability, Coach Canada assumed legal responsibility for 90% of the accident, and the tractor-trailer defendants, including J&J Hauling Inc., were liable for the remaining 10%.

Related News

December 1, 2022
Seeger Weiss now accepting applicants for 2023 Diversity Fellowship

Seeger Weiss LLP announced today that the application period for the firm’s 2023 Diversity Fellowship is now open. Seeger Weiss is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable workplace where team members from all backgrounds can thrive and grow. We believe that diversity makes workplaces, institutions, and our world stronger, smarter, more resilient, and more just. […]

Read More
November 11, 2022
Chris Seeger appointed co-lead counsel in In Re: Social Media Adolescent Addiction/Personal Injury Products Liability Litigation

Seeger Weiss is proud to announce founder Chris Seeger has been appointed to serve as co-lead counsel in the In Re: Social Media Adolescent Addiction/Personal Injury Products Liability Litigation by the honorable Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers. Seeger was one of three lawyers selected to lead the multidistrict litigation pending in the Northern District of California, […]

Read More
November 4, 2022
Seeger Weiss founding partner Chris Seeger helps negotiate $10 billion agreements with Walgreens and CVS in National Prescription Opiate Litigation

Seeger Weiss founding partner Chris Seeger along with partner Jennifer Scullion helped lead the National Prescription Opiate Litigation team in negotiations with Walgreens and CVS that culminated in over $10 billion in settlement agreements to help communities across the country ravaged by the opioid epidemic. In addition to Seeger and Scullion, negotiations were led by […]

Read More