Parvin K. Aminolroaya
Parvin has been a Seeger Weiss litigator for more than a decade, bringing her extensive background in class action consumer and mass tort matters to bear on some of the biggest class action and mass tort matters before the firm and before the country. Her work includes serving in key trial, discovery and expert development roles in mass tort and class action cases and handling critical aspects of many Seeger Weiss efforts on behalf of a wide spectrum of plaintiffs. In these roles, she has been involved in discovery negotiations, depositions, expert development and trial preparation.
She has played a key role in such significant matters as:
- The nationwide litigation battle over opioid drugs, representing counties and municipalities whose health and hospital systems have been severely tested by the epidemic of drug abuse. The opioid lawsuits are “on par to become the largest civil litigation agreement in U.S. history,” according to Forbes Magazine;
- Litigation against 3M, over allegations that the manufacturer sold defective earplugs to the military for use in battle situations and to civilians for high noise exposure situations;
- Litigation against AbbVie Inc., resulting in more than $290 million in initial verdicts against the manufacturer of a testosterone replacement therapy drug that caused heart attacks, strokes, and other side effects after being heavily marketed to middle-aged and older men;
- The multi-billion-dollar cases brought against Volkswagen and other carmakers for disguising the actual emission levels of their diesel engine cars. The settlement figure in this case makes it “the largest auto-related consumer class-action settlement in U.S. history,” lawyers told The Star of Toronto.
- Representing many investors in Bernard Madoff’s investment fund, revealed to be a billion-dollar Ponzi scheme, and protecting the investors’ millions of dollars when the court-appointed bankruptcy trustee attempted to take back money they had in good faith withdrawn from their Madoff accounts. The U.S. Attorney’s office in New York indicated in proceedings that the Madoff Ponzi scheme was the largest in history, and the largest investor fraud ever committed by a single person.
J.D., Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, 2008
- Editorial Board Member of the Moot Court Honor Society
- Recipient of the Jacob Burns Medal for Outstanding Contribution to the Moot Court Honor Society
- Benjamin N. Cardozo Writing Award for best work not for publication
- New York City Bar Association Regional Moot Court Competition, 1st Place Team, Best Brief Award
- Fordham Law School Irving Kaufman Securities Competition, Best Petitioner Brief Award, 2nd Place Team
- LLM Legal Writing Teaching Assistant, 2007-2008
- Student Advocate, Securities Arbitration Clinic 2006-2007
- Student Intern, Securities and Exchange Commission, Spring 2008
- 2016 Cardozo Alumni Association Young Leadership Award
- 2019 Cardozo Law School Black Asian Latino Law Students Alumni Group Association “Game Changer” Award
B.A., Fordham University, 2004
- New York
- New Jersey
- District Courts of the Northern District of New York, Eastern District of New York, Southern District of New York
- Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third and Eighth Circuits
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
Memberships & Associations
- American Association for Justice
- New Jersey Association for Justice
- Co-Chair, Cardozo Women Alumni Group
- Former Vice Chair, Cardozo Law School Black Asian Latino Law Students Alumni Group Association
- Badge of Honor Memorial Foundation—represented family of deceased California police officer in efforts to obtain payment from the federal government whose investigation of an illegal drug ring allegedly led to the officer’s illness and premature death.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- Cardozo Law School Black Asian Latino Law Students Alumni Group Association
- In re National Prescription Opiate Litig., MDL No. 2804 (N.D. Ohio) Member of the Seeger Weiss team appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Executive Committee to represent counties and municipalities in the National Opiates Litigation against pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors. Opioid manufacturers and distributors are accused of improper and misleading marketing and widespread diversion of prescription painkillers into states, counties and cities across the nation, leading to the current opioid addiction crisis. Parvin is on the team responsible for developing the liability case against a major manufacturer of opioids and was responsible for conducting multiple fact and expert witness depositions. Parvin also worked with a leading regulatory expert who offered opinions that the opioid manufacturers’ marketing and promotion of opioids deviated from FDA standards and thereby increased the risk of opioid abuse and endangered patient safety.
- In re 3M Combat Arms Earplug Products Liab. Litig., MDL 2885 (N.D. Fla.). Member of the Seeger Weiss team appointed Co-Lead Counsel to represent plaintiffs against 3M over an allegedly defective hearing protection device. Parvin is on the team responsible for developing the liability case against 3M and for obtaining and reviewing discovery.
- In re Testosterone Replacement Therapy Prods. Liab. Litig., MDL No. 2545 (N.D. Ill.). Member of the trial team for first three bellwether trials in this multi-district litigation which resulted in more than $290 million in initial verdicts for two plaintiffs who suffered heart attacks following use of AndroGel. Her responsibilities included presenting an expert witness at trial, assisting lead trial counsel in preparation for opening statements, closing arguments and drafting trial briefing.
- In re Volkswagen “Clean Diesel” Marketing Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation, MDL No. 2672 (N.D. Cal.) Member of the team appointed to the executive committee in this consumer class MDL proceeding against Volkswagen over allegations that the company failed to meet diesel emissions standards, resulting in a $14.7 billion settlement, the biggest corporate settlement in history, including $4 billion awarded to consumers. Parvin was second chair on several depositions and assisted with the settlement claims process.
- In re Bernard Madoff Investment Securities LLC. Obtained dismissal of or settled numerous lawsuits brought by the Madoff Trustee seeking to recover tens of millions of dollars from investors under the Bankruptcy Code and the Securities Investor Protection Act.
*Prior results do not guarantee or predict a similar outcome in any future matter.
*No aspect of the advertisements below has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. A description of the standard or methodology for each honor, award, or accolade listed below can be found here.
Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers 2019-2020
Parvin has been selected for inclusion on Lawdragon’s 2019-2020 list of 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyers. This guide, first published in 2007 by Lawdragon Inc., presents Lawdragon’s opinion of “the best of the U.S. plaintiff bar who specialize in representing individuals who have suffered injuries from accidents, pharmaceuticals, civil rights abuse and other torts.” Lawdragon’s selection methodology is based on a combination of objective criteria including research of top verdicts and settlements, peer recognition, and interviews with lawyers throughout the country. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
2016 Young Leadership Award, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law Alumni Association
Jacob Burns Medal for outstanding contribution to Moot Court Benjamin N. Cardozo Writing Award
Member of Championship team and coauthor of Best Brief at the 2007 regional rounds of the New York City Bar Association National Moot Court Competition
Member of Second Place team and coauthor of Best Petitioner Brief at the 2007 Fordham Law School Irving R. Kaufman Memorial Securities Competition
New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014-2020
Parvin was selected to the New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars list in 2014-2020. The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Publications & Presentations
Publications & Presentations
Presenter, New Jersey Association for Justice, Choice of Law Update, May 2019
Moderator, Cardozo Law School BALLSA Alumni Group CLE: U.S.-Cuban Sanctions CLE Update, March 2016
Moderator, Cardozo Law School BALLSA Alumni Group CLE: Tips from the Bench, moderated panel discussion with Ret. Hon. Ariel Belen, Hon. Dennis Nieves and Hon. Tanya Kennedy, April 2015
Presenter, New York American Inn of Court CLE: Trial Practice and Experts, Presented March 2013
Presenter, New York American Inn of Court CLE: The Fourth Amendment and Privacy, Presented April 2012
Presenter, New York American Inn of Court CLE: Preservation, Cost-allocation, and Cooperation: An Exploration of E-Discovery Issues, Presented March 2011 (worked directly with Hon. Shira Scheindlin & Prof. Arthur Miller)