Michael L. Rosenberg
Michael managed Seeger Weiss’ Newark office since the firm’s inception in 1999 until the recent move to Ridgefield Park. His practice focuses on complex and mass tort litigation, including drug injury, product liability and insurance.Michael has served in integral or leadership roles in some of the largest high-stakes and high-profile litigations in the country.
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York and the District of New Jersey
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
MEMBERSHIPS & ASSOCIATIONS
Memberships & Associations
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Advisory Board, Jewish Law Symposium
- Human Rights First
- Hunter College
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association (NYSTLA)
- Michael is also the founder and president of the Benjamin M. Rosenberg Foundation, a non-profit devoted to various children’s causes. It was founded in memory of Michael’s beloved son, Benjamin Matthew, who passed away unexpectedly in May 2008 at the age of two.
- In re National Football League Players’ Concussion Injury Litig., MDL No. 2323 (E.D. Pa.). A member of the Seeger Weiss team appointed Co-Lead Counsel by the Honorable Anita Brody in the highly visible and contentious multidistrict litigation against the National Football League. Facing significant legal and procedural challenges, including those associated with federal preemption, causation and sub-classing, the team was ultimately able to lead settlement negotiations under the auspices of a mediator and in coordination with subclass counsel. The results achieved there—an uncapped settlement fund valued at approximately $1 billion and a medical testing program—were overwhelmingly supported by the class and received unprecedented media attention. This settlement was approved by the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and certification of appeal was recently denied by the United States Supreme Court. A key member of the team working on the implementation of the settlement to ensure that class members receive the full benefits of the settlement.
- In re Accutane Litigation, No. 271 (J. Super. Ct. Atlantic Cty). Since 2005, served as a member of the Lead Trial Counsel team in the multicounty litigation pending in New Jersey Superior Court, Atlantic County, on behalf of people injured by the prescription drug Accutane, securing a string of jury verdicts totaling in excess of $55 million. Also served as a member of the team prevailing in a string of appellate decisions. In a landmark decision issued in January 2017, the Court agreed with the team that Section 142 of the Restatement (Second) of Conflicts of Law applies to resolve choice of law disputes on the issue of which state’s law governs the statute of limitations, resulting in the reinstatement of a $25.5 million verdict on behalf of the client. In July 2017, the team convinced the Court to revive more than 2,000 cases in consolidated litigation against Roche. That same week, the Appellate Division reversed another major decision by the trial court, reinstating roughly 300 cases in the litigation.
- In re Yasmin and YAZ Marketing, Sales Practices and Prods. Liab. Litig., MDL No. 2100 (S.D. Ill.). Served as member of the Seeger Weiss team appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the MDL, representing women who suffered serious adverse effects as a result of using the company’s birth control pills. Key member of the team that was able to settle the firm’s clients’ cases first, which ultimately led to the creation of nationwide settlement program exceeding $2 billion.
- In re Phenylpropanolamine (PPA) Prods. Liab. Litig., MDL No. 1407 (W.D. Wash.). Served as member of the Seeger Weiss teams appointed to the MDL Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the Western District of Washington and as Liaison Counsel in the New Jersey state court litigation. Played a prominent role in the nationwide settlement against the manufacturers of weight loss product Dexatrim on behalf of approximately of 500 stroke victims alleging their strokes were caused by their use of Dexatrim. The settlement is valued at approximately $200 million. Michael was also selected as a member of the Delaco Trust Advisory Committee tasked with overseeing the administration of the settlement.
- In re Ortho Evra Prods. Liab. Litig., MDL No. 1742 (N.D. Ohio). Served as member of the Seeger Weiss teams appointed to the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the MDL and as Plaintiffs’ Liaison Counsel in the New Jersey state court litigation against Johnson & Johnson, representing women who allegedly suffered serious adverse effects as a result of using the company’s birth control patch. Secured millions in settlements on behalf of the firm’s clients.
*No aspect of the advertisements below has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. A description of the standard or methodology for each honor, award, or accolade listed below can be found here.
Super Lawyers, 2013, 2017-2019
Michael was selected to the Super Lawyers list in 2013 & 2017-2019. The Super Lawyers list is issued by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.